Before begining to design a retaining wall we need to establish the different restraints that we might have in terms of :
- site geometry and initial conditions ;
- the nature of soil(soft, rock or different layers);
- the posibility of using as much site material as possible;
- for slopes with heights above 1.5m we need to determine the depth of the water behind the future retaining wall in order to determine the hydrostatic pressure
- nature of soil in front and at the base of the future retaining wall .